CHARLOTTE, NC: Actors Theatre of Charlotte announces two exciting all-day workshops for actors, taught by professional actor Martin Thompson. Both workshops will provide hands-on experience in auditioning, working, marketing your skills, and running your business as an actor – taught from the unique perspective of a working professional actor!
Seating for both of these workshops is extremely limited, and advanced reservations are required. No walk-ins! To book your seat for this seminar series, call Actors Theatre of Charlotte at 704-342-2251, or visit them on the web at http://www.actorstheatrecharlotte.org
Reservations will be accepted beginning January 2nd, 2009.
The cost for each seminar is $95. Or, you can attend both for only $150! That’s just $75 each, for two all-day events! Call Actors Theatre, to reserve your place.
Auditioning and Working on Camera
From the actor’s perspective
Saturday, January 17th, 2009 10AM – 5PM
Casting directors can tell you what they want to see at an audition. But, in this workshop you’ll discover how to actually get there, from the actor’s perspective! This full-day workshop will lead actors through the process of booking the job, using unique audition strategies that allow the actor to win every time! Then, we’ll focus on the mechanics and special acting techniques required to work in front of the camera, after you’ve booked the job. All participants will be video-taped, and we will use actual scenes from television shows and movies that have been auditioned and filmed in our area. Age limit: 12 and up.
Topics will include:
Your Type, and how to maximize your edge
Ace the Interview
Taking control in the audition, and making it yours
The mechanics of on-camera auditioning
The art and science of auditioning at your best
The secrets that Casting Directors WON’T tell you!
The unique requirements of on-camera performance
Working and rehearsing on the set
Adapting Stage performance to the camera
Acting to an eye-line, what’s that?
The Actor’s Real Job
Running your Acting Career as a Business
Saturday, January 24th, 2009 10AM – 5PM
It’s not enough just to be good at what you do, it’s also important to make a living doing it! 90% of the actor’s job is looking for work, the other 10% is spent actually working! In this workshop we’ll learn the essential tools of managing your career as a business, and discover how to turn your “hobby” into a lucrative career. We’ll create marketing materials – headshots, resumes, demos, websites – that stand out from the crowd, and sell you at your best! You’ll learn how to most effectively market yourself, how to assemble your team, what pitfalls to look out for, and when to move to the next level in your career. Age limit 18 and up.
Topics will include:
What are you selling? Branding yourself.
Who is buying, and how do I market to them?
The tools of the trade, and how to maximize their effectiveness
Agents: How do I get one, and how do I keep them?
The Casting Director: What are they looking for?
Job opportunities in the Southeast. Where is the work?
Unions: When should I join?
Record keeping and, ugh… Taxes!
and MUCH MORE!
About the Instructor
Martin Thompson (AEA-AFTRA-SAG) is an award winning professional actor with over 25 years of credits in Television, Motion Pictures, Commercials, and Industrials, as well as extensive Theatre credits on the New York stage and in Regional Theatres across the country. His daytime television work includes roles on The Guiding Light, The Edge of Night, and All My Children. His motion picture credits include Spies, Mr. Destiny, and Billy Bathgate with Dustin Hoffman. He recently completed filming the upcoming feature Blood Done Sign My Name, and will soon be seen co-starring with Dean Jones in Mandie and the Secret Tunnel, and opposite Kevin Costner in The New Daughter.